Monday, March 5th through Sunday, March 11th, 2012
There are numerous fashion events throughout the week including museum exhibits, fashion shows, networking mixers, panel discussions and shopping opportunities. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your week with style!
|Portrait of Mrs. Luke lonides by William Blake Richmond, oil on canvas, England, early 20th century.|
- The Cult of Beauty: The Victorian Avant-Garde, 1860-1900, ongoing thru June 17, 2012, Legion of Honor, SF
Travel to the beautiful world of Oscar Wilde with “The Cult of Beauty: The Victorian Avante-Garde, 1860-1900” at the Legion of Honor through June 17th, 2012. This look at the Aesthetic Movement of London, England will feature a series of exclusive programs featuring music, costumes, hands-on art making and more on select Saturdays and Sundays throughout the exhibition. Programs are free with museum admission of $11.
- Outfitters: The Contemporary Art of Clothing, Sunday, March 4 thru Saturday, May 13, 2012, Bedford Gallery – 1601 Civic Drive, Walnut Creek, 12:00 to 5:00 pm
Explore an exhibition presenting twenty artists’ work that uses the armature of clothing or actual clothing as a premise for creating sculpture. Embracing personal ideas and the conceptual edge of craft, the artworks address concepts of memory, human nature or statements about identity. Admission cost is $5 for adults, $3 for ages 13 to 17 and free for ages 12 and under. Free the first Tuesday of every month.
- Ahead of Fashion: Accelerator for Technology Start-Ups in Fashion, Tuesday, March 6, 2012, The Julia Morgan Ballroom, 465 California Street, SF, 5:30 to 9:00 pm
Check out the Ahead of Fashion second major event of the year at the Julia Morgan Ballroom. The guest speaker of the evening is Hap Klopp, founder of The North Face. The evening will include presentations by three local fashion designers and six fashion+tech start-ups. This promises to be an exciting evening of fashion and technology. Cost to attend is $100.
- Girls in Tech – featuring ModCloth, Tuesday, March 6, 2012, Branchout HQ, 651 Brannan Street – 4th Floor, SF, 6:30 to 8:30 pm
Find out at this Girls in Tech event, what it takes to build a start-up dream team. A panel of seasoned founders will discuss and answer questions on who you will need and when, how to weed out attractive mistakes, wooing the hard to get, and approaching monumental tasks with good judgement. One of the guest panel speakers includes Susan Gregg Koger, Chief Creative Officer and co-founder of ModCloth. Cost to attend is $15 for Early Bird tickets and $20 regular/at the door.
- Heidi Elnora Trunk Show, Wednesday, March 7, 2012, Nordstrom – 865 Market Street, SF, 2:00 to 6:00 pm
Join Nordstrom as Heidi Elnora unveils her 2012 wedding collection ‘Keep Calm and Carry on.’ An alumna of Project Runway, Heidi was named by Lucky magazine as ‘the master of the southern-inspired gown.’ RSVP to the Wedding Suite department at Nordstrom at 415.243.8500.
- Fashionably First Wednesday: FashionTech Industry Mixer, Wednesday, March 7, 2012, John Colins Lounge, 138 Minna Street, SF, 5:00 to 9:00 pm
Mingle and network at SF Fashion+Tech’s industry mixer. This is a great opportunity to meet new friends within the fashion industry, including event producers, models, photographers, designers and more. No cost to attend.
Visit the Timbuk2 headquarters on this Yelp Field Trip, part of their month-long series of outings within the Bay Area. Learn about the history of Timbuk2, tour the manufacturing facility, watch how bags are made from start to finish and see a sneak preview of the upcoming line, due to launch this summer. No cost to attend, but space is limited and RSVP is required.
- Decades: An Inspiration of Life!, Thursday, March 8, 2012, Blue Sky LightGrid Studios – 2325 3rd Street, Suite 434, SF, 6:00 to 10:00 pm
Find inspiration of life at this LALY event featuring a fashion show of designs from deeFIND, SOLZ, Black Iris Hair Creations, Victor Tung Couture, Shawnell O’Shea Swimwear, Earth Ellements jewelry and Studio DCL. There will also be live painting throughout the night by artist and photographer Daniela Cunha Lay and a variety of live performances. No cost to attend, but RSVP is recommended.
- The Bold Italic at Nightlife at the Academy, Thursday, March 8, 2012, Academy of Sciences – 55 Music Concourse Dr., Golden Gate Park, SF, 6:00 to 10:00 pm
Celebrate the best of San Francisco by touring a series of “meta-hoods” at Nightlife at the Academy of Sciences, organized by The Bold Italic. Two of the stops worth checking out are the Ice cream Basin to find out what local ice cream geniuses are making and the Makers Point Workshop, where local artisans, designers and builders create a range of products. Admission cost is $12.
- Mission Night Market, Thursday, March 8 thru Saturday, March 10, 2012, Ken Ken Ramen – 3376 18th Street, SF, 6:00 to 11:00 pm
Ken Ken Ramen’s Noodle Factory is creating a night market of interesting stalls, vendors, food and craziness – reminiscent of a night market in Asia. Look for a wild selection of local artists setting up shop and hawking their goods at this evening bazaar for three nights only. Some of the vendors include JackKnive Outfitters, Revolver Select, Cureall Vintage, Auger+Ore Jewelry, Valerian Jewelry and Dillon Montara Clothing. No cost to attend!
- Neiman Marcus Grand Opening Gala Celebration, Thursday, March 8, 2012,1275 Broadway Plaza, Walnut Creek, 7:00 to 11:00 pm
Attend this creative Black Tie fashionable fete, celebrating the grand opening of Neiman Marcus Walnut Creek. There will be cocktails and a buffet of delights to enjoy. Ticket cost is $200 with proceeds going toward East Bay beneficiaries: Diablo Regional Arts Association, Junior League of Oakland-East Bay, Monument Crisis Center and the Taylor Family Foundation. Call 866.967.2433 to RSVP and purchase tickets.
- HomeTown Kings Clothing: New Reign, Thursday, March 8, 2012, Mercury Lounge, 1582 Folsom Street, SF, 9:00 pm to 2:00 am
HomeTown Kings Clothing is having a launch party at Mercury Lounge for their new collection. Come celebrate the launch of this new streetwear fashion company and enjoy an evening of music entertainment provided by OhNo Productions. No cost to attend.
The Mission Night Market continues today in addition to the following fashion events:
- Stephen Webster Trunk Show, Friday, March 9, 2012, Neiman Marcus, 150 Stockton Street, SF, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Check out the latest designs by jeweler Stephen Webster at Neiman Marcus. His keen eye for detail, expert craftsmanship and glam-rock attitude has given rise to dramatic creations with an eternally chic aesthetic. His dedicated fan base includes celebrities from all over the globe; from Madonna to Christina Aguilera, Kate Moss, Sir Elton John, Mickey Rourke and many others. Find out why he has worldwide acclaim.
- Heather Payne Personal Appearance, Friday, March 9, 2012, Neiman Marcus – 150 Stockton Street, SF, 1:00 to 4:00 pm
Model turned designer Heather Payne is making a personal appearance at Neiman Marcus to promote her activewear line Payne. Her collection provides a sporty, yet luxurious alternative to everyday wear. Meet the designer and see her Spring/Summer 2012 collection.
- Make Do! A recycle and Up-cycle art and fashion show, Friday, March 9, 2012, Rhythmix Cultural Works, 2513 Blanding Ave., Alameda, 6:00 to 9:00 pm
Embrace Reduce, Re-Use and Recycle as a way of live! Rhythmix Cultural Works has partnered with Julie’s Coffee and Tea, sewing guru Jennifer Serr, Upcycle Clothes and Redux artists to inspire these concepts. The event will feature vintage fashion vendors, an Upcycle fashion show, refreshments and more. Fashion show starts at 8:00 pm. No cost to attend.
Come celebrate the arrival of Andrea Cammarosano’s Spring/Summer men’s fashion collection at Modern Appealing Clothing. Enjoy drinks, appetizers and a special presentation of Fashion and Art realized in collaboration with the Rijksakedemie, Amsterdam. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Victorian Corsetry 3-part Workshop, Friday, March 9, 16 & 23, 2012, Lacis Museum of Lace & Textiles – 2982 Adeline Street, SF, 6:00 to 10:00 pm
Learn how to create an Edwardian Corset, fitted to your exact measurements! The emphasis on this workshop is achieving the precise fit of the Edwardian corset, popular from 1902 to 1909, and improving technical skills of patterning, cutting and sewing. Cost of instruction is $100 and does not include materials.
- Yelp’s Field Trip, Make a Moustache Workshop at Urban Bazaar, Friday, March 9, 2012, 1371 9th Avenue, SF, 7:30 to 9:30 pm
Learn how to make an amusing accessory, a felt mustache on an elastic cord. “Yelp’s Field Trip” and Urban Bazaar have partnered up to provide basic sewing instruction and materials for each participant to make 2 mustaches. RSVP is required with an email confirmation.
- After Eleven Spring Launch Party, Friday, March 9, 2012, Playground, 1705 Buchanan Street, SF, 8:00 pm to 2:00 am
Come out to the Playground SF and celebrate the launch of fashion collections by After Eleven Apparel and Creep Life Clothing. Find out how to look fabulous for the spring and enjoy sounds mixed by DJ Natalie Nuxx and Foolish Ways. No cost to attend.
This is the last day of the Mission Night Market. Other Saturday fashion events include:
- Authentic Gaultier: Creativity-Technical Rigor, Saturday, March 10, 2012, de Young Museum – Koret Auditorium, Golden Gate Park, SF, 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
Natalie Doucet, president and founder of the SF based nonprofit Arts of Fashion Foundation will speak about the art of Gaultier’s career, from assisting Pierre Cardin in 1970 and the launch of his own house in 1976, to his continuing importance in today’s fashion world. Free to Textile Arts Council Members, $5 for FAMSF members and students, $10 for non-members. Tickets are sold at the door.
- PrimeXpo Jewelry, Bead & Gift Show, Saturday, March 10 and Sunday, March 11, 2012, Sonoma County Fairgrounds, 1350 Bennett Valley Road, Santa Rosa, 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
The PrimeXpo Jewelry, Bead and Gift Show presents a wide array of jewelry and gifts from exhibitors all around the world. This event provides a unique shopping experience, dazzling attendees with contemporary and antique pieces, all for great deals. Free admission with online registration.
- Yelp Field Trip – Indie Industries, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 2352 Market Street, SF, 2:00 to 3:00 pm
Local designer owned and produced collective Indie Industries (15 designers, 2 stores, 1 dream) have partnered with Yelp for a fun, earth friendly, recycled-vintage-repurposed jewelry class. Class includes instruction and use of tools. Chains, jump rings, clasps and more will be available for purchase to enhance or finish off pieces. RSVP is required with an email confirmation.
- Zhuo Liu Fashion Show, Saturday, March 10, 2012, supperclub – 657 Harrison Street, SF, 9:30 pm to 3:00 am
DJ4LIFE is celebrating their five year anniversary. The evening will include a fashion show featuring the Spring 2012 collection of designer Zhuo Liu. Other entertainment for the evening includes aerial acrobatics, live singing, and dance performances. It is recommended to pre-purchase VIP entry tickets for $15 to avoid waiting in lines at the event.
This is the last day to shop the beads and jewelry at the PrimeXpo. Other fashion events on Sunday include:
- Chronicle Books Grand Re-Opening, Sunday, March 11, 2012, Chronicle Books – 165 Fourth Street, Metreon, SF, 10:30 am to 6:00 pm
Check out the new Chronicle Books store in the Metreon! At 10:30 am, enjoy coffee and doughnuts in honor of the “Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts” cookbook. Plus enjoy 20% off everything in the store from March 8th through the 11th. Perfect time to shop their selection of fashion books!
- Yelp’s Field Trip – Scrap Workshop, Sunday, March 11, 2012, 801 Toland Street, SF, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
SCRAP is hosting an open house and tour of their warehouse. Find out how the 30 year old nonprofit has been saving thousands and tons of material from the landfill while inspiring creativity and helping supply education. While looking through their donated fabrics, buttons, ribbons and other supplies, keep in mind an art piece to be created using SCRAP materials. RSVP is required with an email confirmation.
- Docent Lecture – Cartier: King of Jewelers, Jewelers of Kings, Sunday, March 11, 2012, Legion of Honor – Florence Gould Theatre, 100 34th Avenue, SF, 1:00 to 2:15 pm
As part of its Victorian Avant-Garde exhibit, the Legion of Honor is presenting a docent lecture on Cartier: King of Jewelers, Jewelers of Kings. Learn about the history of Cartier and its influence on society. No cost to attend and museum admission is not required.