- The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk, Saturday, March 24 through August 19, 2012, de Young Museum – 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, Golden Gate Park, SF, 9:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.
Get overwhelmed and fashion inspired at this dynamic, multimedia exhibit which spotlights 140 haute couture and prêt-à-porter designs created by Jean Paul Gaultier between the 1970s and 2010, along with numerous sketches, archival documents, fashion photographs and video clips. Despite the gritty and sometimes controversial content of his collections, the clothes remain beautiful, superbly crafted with the finest dressmaking and detailing skills. General admission is $11.
- The Cult of Beauty: The Victorian Avant-Garde, 1860-1900, ongoing through June 17, 2012, Legion of Honor, SF, 9:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.
Discover the limitless devotion to beauty and inspiration found in “The Cult of Beauty: The Victorian Avant-Garde exhibit” at the Legion of Honor. This exhibit will also feature a series of exclusive programs including live entertainment, lectures and hands-on art making. Programs are free with museum admission of $11.
- Outfitters: The Contemporary Art of Clothing, Sunday, March 4 through Saturday, May 13, 2012, Bedford Gallery – 1601 Civic Drive, Walnut Creek, 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Explore an exhibition of twenty artists’ work that uses armature of clothing or actual clothing as a premise for sculpture. Embracing personal ideas and the conceptual edge of craft, the artworks address concepts of money, human nature and statements of identity. Ticket cost is $5.
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 11, 2012
- FIDM Alumni Panel Discussion “Where are they now”, Wednesday, April 11, 2012, FIDM – 55 Stockton Street, Room 501, 5th Floor, SF, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
FIDM and fashion recruitment firm 24 Seven is hosting a networking and professional event where FIDM Alumni will talk about their careers and how they landed their current jobs. 24 Seven will be on-site to talk about current openings within the fashion industry in the Bay Area. No cost to attend. RSVP is recommended.
- Party at Bloomingdale’s Mens Store Benefitting REAF, Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 845 Market Street, SF, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Join Bloomingdale’s for a festive evening of fun, friends, cocktails and shopping as they showcase this season’s fashion and entertain with music from top SF Dj’s and complimentary drinks. Bloomingdale’s will donate 10% of all sales to the non-profit REAF. RSVP is required to attend (415.856.5577).
THURSDAY, APRIL 12, 2012
- Indie Mart Night Bazaar: Divisadero Art Walk, Thursday, April 12, 2012, The Independent – 628 Divisadero Street, SF, 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
As part of the Divisadero Art Walk which is taking place from Haight Street to Geary Boulevard along Divisadero Street, Indie-Mart is hosting an indoor night Bazaar at The Independent featuring an eclectic mix of local designers, unique finds, live art, workshops and DIY activities. No cost to attend. Must be over age 21 to attend.
- Ambiance Union Street Store Party, Thursday, April 12, 2012, 1858 & 1864 Union Street, SF, 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Ambiance is having a spring store party in the Marina district with light refreshments, prize give-aways and discounts on purchases. Come celebrate spring with Ambiance!
- Play it Hot with Bebe and Lucky Magazine, Thursday, April 12, 2012, Bebe – 2095 Union Street, SF, 6:00 to 8:00 pm
Stanford alumnae, Lucky Magazine and Bebe on Union Street are partnering up for a night of fashion and fun. View Bebe’s summer collection and enjoy fabulous drinks, appetizers and special discounts and prizes. No cost to attend.
FRIDAY, APRIL 13, 2012
- The Junior League 86th Annual Hearts of San Francisco Annual Fashion Show and Champagne Luncheon, Friday, April 13, 2012, The Fairmont Hotel – 950 Mason Street, SF, 10:00 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. (champagne luncheon), 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (black tie dinner gala)
The Junior League of San Francisco (JLSF) is hosting a celebration of the women of the League and the contributions they have made to San Francisco over the past century. The fashion show produced by Macy’s is one of the premier fundraising events in SF and has raised millions of dollars for SF and surrounding communities. This year will mark the 86th year that the JLSF is hosting this special event, making it the longest-running event of its kind in the nation. Ticket cost ranges from $175 to $275.
- Discarded to Divine Preview Night, Friday, April 13, 2012, de Young Museum, Golden Gate Park, 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden, 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Cultural Encounters: Friday Nights at the de Young presents live music by The Fashion Slaves, the 6th Annual Discarded to Divine showcase presented in partnership with St. Vincent de Paul Society of San Francisco, and a film screening of “Jean Paul Gaultier or How to Subvert Haute Couture.” All programs are free, but gallery admission is still required for the special exhibition and permanent collection.
SATURDAY, APRIL 14, 2012
- Jewelry Designer Devon Leigh personal appearance, Saturday, April 14, 2012, Neiman Marcus – 150 Stockton Street, SF, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Los Angeles jewelry designer Devon Leigh Sedlacek will be at Neiman Marcus to showcase her latest collection. Popular amongst celebrities and Hollywood clientele, her bejeweled collection of necklaces, earrings and bracelets embrace natural style with pure and elegant luxury. This event will take place in Designer Jewelry, First Floor.
- SFMOMA Jewelry Designer Trunk Show, Saturday, April 14, 2012, 151 3rd Street, SF, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Meet some of the SFMOMA’s favorite artists and see their latest designs at this annual spring trunk show. Local, national and international designers will be showcasing their newest works that aren’t even available yet at the museum store. Museum members save 20% on all jewelry! No cost or membership required to attend the event.
- Artist Village Bizarre Bazaar, Saturday, April 14 through Sunday, April 15, 2012 and Saturday, April 21 through Sunday April 22, 2012, Japantown, New People Building – 1745 Post Street, SF, 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Japantown’s Cherry Blossom Festival is happening this weekend and next weekend with various activities, ranging from Japanese embroidery workshops to Japanese performances and fashion shows Make sure to check out the list of activities, taking note of the gouK fashion show on April 14, and to stop over at the Japantown Bizarre Bazaar (from the producers of Maker Faire) featuring different vendors each weekend of the festival. This weekend’s vendors include Our House of Vintage and Design, Atelier, Daily San Franciscan, Animezingworld, Soomka, Dandy, Buluchu and many others. No cost to attend.
- Mission Spring Open Studios, Saturday, April 14 and Sunday, April 15, 2012, Mission District, SF, 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Mission Open Studios is a 2-day event where 100’s of emerging and established artists opens their doors to the public for a weekend of art, inspiration and collecting. This is the perfect opportunity to view jewelry designs from local artists and purchase a one-of-a-kind piece. No cost to attend.
- Serial Cultura and Michaela Greg Sample Sale and Fall 2012 preview, Saturday, April 14, 2012, 909 45th Avenue #13, Oakland, 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Join Serial Cultura and Micaela Greg for a chance to view and pre-order their Fall 2012 collection and to shop previous seasons’ samples at 50% off. Customers also can also order custom spring items in choice of fabric and style.
This sold-out warehouse sale features the Gilt Groupe’s top men’s and women’s fashion and home accessories brands, at prices that are even better than on their online site. All admission tickets are sold out, but a possibility of attending is by getting on the waitlist or finding a friend who isn’t using their ticket and having the “attendee name” changed. Ticket cost ranges from $5 to $15.
- gouK fashion show at the Cherry Blossom Festival Saturday, April 14 , 2012, Japantown, Peace Plaza Stage & 1746/Post Street, SF, 3:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
J-Pop fashion is taking stage at the gouK US debut fashion show. The latest addition to the will take place at 3:00 pm at Peace Plaza Stage. Designer Takeshi Kunimoto will be presenting his collection and will also be at the h.NAOTO store before and after the show. An invitation to the Cherry Blossom Party at Jefferson Square Park on April 15 with the designer will be given out with purchases over $100 on gouK items over the weekend.
- 6th Annual For the Love of Animals Gala, Saturday, April 14, 2012, Mill Valley Community Center – 180 Camino Alto, Mill Valley, 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
The Marin Humane Society and Stage Door Studio present “For the Love of Animals”, their 6th annual gala fundraiser. The evening will include entertainment and a runway show featuring adoption animals accompanied by models outfitted by Famous4 Clothing in Mill Valley, a boutique that features items by local, national and international designers. The event is sold out, but there is a waiting list to attend in case there is a cancellation.
- The House of Swankety Swank & Trickster Events Present: STARSEED, Saturday, April 14, 2012, 289 Divisadero, SF, 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Swankety Swank, a local artist retail co-op that carries beautiful goods by talented local artists, is hosting the event Starseed, an evening of live musical performances and art. Some of the local fashion designs sold at the store include DAS, gibbous, Ghetto Goldilocks and Miranda Caroligne. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 to $20 (sliding scale) at the door. This event is not sold out.
- Ultra Fashion – Brazilian Image Bikinis Fashion Show 2012, Saturday, April 14, 2012, Roe Restaurant, 651 Howard Street, SF, 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
Roe Nightclub is hosting a fashion show featuring the spring/summer designs of Brazilian Image Bikini. Fashion show starts after 11:00 p.m. There is no cost to attend with admission before 10:30 p.m. and with RSVP.
SUNDAY, APRIL 15, 2012
This is the last day to get stimulated by the artwork and gorgeous jewelry of the popular Mission Open Studios. Other fashion events to enjoy on Sunday include the following:
- Fashion Market Northern California, Sunday, April 15 through Tuesday, April 17, 2012, San Mateo Event Center, 2495 South Delaware, San Mateo, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
This 3-day event for apparel and accessory buyers (for stores) is celebrating 50 years as Northern California’s market place of choice contemporary fashion from both domestic and international vendors. This showcase will include over 200 exhibitors and 1,000 collections. This event is only open to buyers and exhibitors. Registration is required.
- Before “I do” fashion show, Sunday, April 15, 2012, Mira Vista Golf & Country Club – 7901 Cutting Boulevard, El Cerrito, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
“Before ‘I do’ fashion show – models go barefoot for the cause” is a fundraising event that will feature a runway show of elegant evening and bridal wear. This charity event and fashion show benefits Samaritan’s Feet and Teach With Africa. Tickets are $45.