|The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier, Photo by Ed Jay.|
- The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk, Saturday, March 24 through August 19, 2012, de Young Museum – 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, Golden Gate Park, SF, 9:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.
Get inspired by fashion and art at this dynamic, multimedia exhibit which spotlights 140 haute couture and prêt-à-porter designs created by Jean Paul Gaultier between the 1970s and 2010, along with numerous sketches, archival documents, fashion photographs and video clips. Despite the gritty and sometimes controversial content of his collections, the clothes remain beautiful, superbly crafted with the finest dressmaking and detailing skills. General admission is $11.
- The Cult of Beauty: The Victorian Avant-Garde, 1860-1900, ongoing thru June 17, 2012, Legion of Honor, SF, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Discover the limitless devotion to beauty and inspiration found in “The Cult of Beauty: The Victorian Avant-Garde exhibit” at the Legion of Honor. This exhibit will also feature a series of exclusive programs including live entertainment, lectures and hands-on art making. Programs are free with museum admission of $11.
- Outfitters: The Contemporary Art of Clothing, Sunday, March 4 through Saturday, May 13, 2012, Bedford Gallery – 1601 Civic Drive, Walnut Creek, 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Explore an exhibition of twenty artists’ work that uses armature of clothing or actual clothing as a premise for sculpture. Embracing personal ideas and the conceptual edge of craft, the artworks address concepts of money, human nature and statements of identity. Ticket cost is $5.
- Fashion+TechSF Talk Series, Thursday, April 19, 2012, Pigment Cosmetics, One Market Street, Suite 140, SF, 5:30 p.m. to 8:45 p.m.
Meet local fashion entrepreneurs and industry professionals and expand your resources and knowledge. This is a stimulating networking event that will also include a panel discussion led by a team of local fashion industry professionals. Cost to attend is $10.
- Fatlace Warehouse Sale, Friday, April 20 through Saturday, April 21, 2012, 800 South Amphlett Blvd., San Mateo, 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Friday), 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (Saturday)
Fatlace is having a 2-day blowout sale on apparel at discounts of up to 75% off during their Spring Warehouse Sale. Pick up 3 tees for $20, 5 tees for $30 or 10 tees for $50. Sneakers will also be on sale at 50% off.
- 5thStitch Up In Smoke: Varon Andel’s Trunk Show/Sample Sale, Friday, April 20, 2012, 5th Stitch Collective, 2352 Market Street, SF, 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Come by 5thStitch in the Castro to shop and party! Event highlights include live screen printing, free of charge, a trunk show and sample sale of designs by Varon Andel, a live performance by singer Jae-Mi and prize give-aways.
- Carte Blanche Opening Reception, Friday, April 20, 2012, 973 Valencia Street, SF, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Join gallery Carte Blanche to celebrate the opening of their new show “This is your world.” This refreshing photo exhibit explores beauty and femininity in a dreamlike journey through images. The event will also include a pop-up shop of designer accessories and jewelry and free massages and makeovers. No cost to attend.
- “Sideshow” F3 at the Cotton Mill Studios, Friday, April 20, 2012, 1091 Calcot Place, Oakland, 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
The beautiful and historic live/work Cotton Mill Studios in the Jingletown Arts District of East Oakland will be exhibiting artwork of resident and guest artists for its sixth F3 (Third Fridays) exhibition with a “Sideshow” theme. Exhibiting artwork includes painting, sculpture, photography, jewlry, fashion, mixed media and furniture. There will also be various live performances. No cost to attend.
The Fatlace warehouse sale continues today in addition to the following fashion events:
- Spring Bead Bazaar, Saturday, April 21, 2012, Oakland City Center Hotel, 1001 Broadway Street, Oakland, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The Bead Society of Northern California is hosting a one-day show with over 120 studio artists and bead exhibitors selling ancient/vintage/modern beads, finished jewelry, findings, books and more. Cost to attend is $7.
- SJMade with SJEats Spring 2012 Festival, Saturday, April 21, 2012, San Pedro Square Market, 170 W. St. John Street, San Jose, 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
San Jose Made is hosting a festival of local storeowners, makers, artists and purveyors of San Jose made and inspired goods. The event will also include entertainment and food trucks coordinated by SJEats. No cost to attend.
- Red Poppy Indigenous Day in Brazil celebration, Saturday, April 21, 2012, Red Poppy Arthouse, 2698 Folsom Street, SF, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Celebrate April 19th Indigenous Day in Brazil with Red Poppy Art House and learn how to craft jewelry, Pataxo style! This family centered event is free, with donations welcome for the art materials and supplies.
- Truly Beautiful: A fashion show and shopping event, Saturday, April 21, 2012, Public Works, 161 Erie Street, SF, 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Truly Beautiful is a fashion show and shopping event highlighting the eco-friendly and ethical alternatives available in fashion, cosmetics and design. Designers being showcased include Rubenesque, Sarah Liller Designs, Tash & Cody, Haute Trash, Invisible Hero and NewField Eco-Design. The fashion show starts at 2:30 p.m. Ticket cost ranges from $10 to $30. This is for ages 21 and over.
- Masagin General, Saturday, April 21, 2012, Fort Mason, Buchanan Street & Marina Blvd., SF, 1:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Masagin General is a pop-up shop featuring clothing, jewelry, books and artifacts from California-based designers, artisans and independent shop owners. Participating jewelry makers and vendors include Katy Krantz, Michelle Lane, Aniaise, IKO IKO, Stitch & Hammer and many more. No cost to attend.
- Sarah Graham Jewelry: Nature vs. Nurture Opening Reception, Saturday, April 21, 2012, Shibumi Gallery, 1402 Fifth Street, Berkeley, 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Jewelry designer Sarah Graham will showcase her newest collection at Shibumi Gallery and give an informal talk on the inspiration of her signature designs. She will be also premier her new fingerprint jewelry and will be personally taking fingerprints for designs.
- Pretty in Green Fashion Show, Saturday, April 21, 2012, Bravado Coffee Bar & Lounge, 170 King Street, SF, 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
In support of the Planet Green Movement and to honor Earth Day, Ecolett and Bravado Coffee Bar & Lounge are presenting an evening of fashion, music, raw food and lush drinks. The fashion show will showcase the eco-friendly creations of 9 exceptional designers. Cost to attend is $20 at the door.
- YSCDC First Annual Fashion Show, Saturday, April 21, 2012, West Bay Conference Center, 1290 Fillmore Street, SF, 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
The non-profit Your Special Child Development Center is hosting their first annual fundraising fashion extravaganza to raise funds for autistic children. The runway show will feature apparel from local Bay Area fashion designers. Cost to attend is $25 to $50 and includes appetizers or dinner.
- Green Goddess Eco Fashion Show, Saturday, April 21, 2012, Deep Green Festival, The Craneway Pavilion, 1414 Harbour Way South, Richmond, 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
The Bay Area’s premier 4/20 event “Deep Green” is hosting an eco-friendly fashion show of both men’s and women’s wear made from either recycled or repurposed hemp, bamboo or organic cotton fabrics. There will be 100% hemp tee’s from Hempteeness, 100% hemp garments from Dash Hemp, Satori’s designs that mix recycled polyester, hemp and organic cotton, and many other designers. Event registration cost ranges from $15 to $75.
- Earth Day San Francisco Eco Event, Sunday, April 22, 2012, Civic Center Plaza, 355 McCallister Street, SF, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
San Francisco’s celebration of Earth Day at Civic Center Plaza features 3 stages of live music, workshops, speakers, art and eco-friendly vendors. Apparel and accessory vendors showcased include Estilo Clothing, Sean’s Celtic Creations, Xylem Clothing, Island Tribe, Steampunk Hatter and many more. No cost to attend.
|Designer Mariya Milovidova. Photo by VIPSocialite and Shaun Tiangsing.|
The Earth Day festivities at Civic Center in San Francisco will feature an exciting eco-fashion show of apparel from local designers, showing that high fashion can be truly sustainable. Designers participating include Tuan Tran, Irina holmes, Mariya Milovidova, Daniel Chimowitz, Larisa LaVladi, Dustin Page and many more. The fashion show starts promptly at 12:0 p.m. on the Deep Green Stage. No cost to attend, but arrive early to reserve a spot near the runway.
- Earth Day Envirolution Club Trashion Fashion Show, Sunday, April 22, 2012, Civic Center Plaza, SF, 2:30 p.m.
The talented designers of Truckee High School’s Envirolution Club will unveil their new line of earth-friendly clothing at SF’s Earth Day celebration at Civic Center. The Trashion show will feature glamorous outfits and exciting fashions, all created from recycled products that would have otherwise been buried in landfills. The fashion show will start promptly at 2:30 p.m. at the Earth Mother Stage.
- A Bubbles Boutique Spring Fling Pop-Up Shop Event, Sunday, April 22, 2012, Dogpatch Studios, 991 Tennessee Street, SF, 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Enjoy complimentary champagne as you shop the Bubbles Boutique’s Spring Fling Pop-Up Shop event. Participating designers include Hilside Bags, LizHutnick, Prodigal Daughter and many more. There is a $10 cost to attend but includes drinks and fabulous door prizes.
- DXC – Dunkxchange, Sunday, April 22, 2012, Terra Gallery, 511 Harrison Street, SF, 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
DXC (the original buy, sell and trade travelling event series for sneakerheads and streetwear collectors) is invading San Francisco. Hosted by Fully Laced, DXC will feature 30 local vendors and their freshest collections. Music will be provided by DJ Juice and live painting will be done by Bigfoot and Jesse Hernandez. Cost to attend is $8 presale, $10 at the door and $15 for VIP admission.
- Project Funway, Sunday, April 22, 2012, Santa Rosa Veterans Memorial Building, 1351 Maple Avenue, Santa Rosa, 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Fashion design students in the SF Bay Area will show their works and compete for fan favorite and judges’ prizes similar to the format of Project Runway. There will also be a showcase of fashions from Barbara Friday and an accessories boutique to browse. All proceeds benefit the music education programs of the Santa Rosa Symphony. Ticket cost ranges from $35 to $45.
- Cherry Blossom Festival Anime Costume Contest & Parade, Sunday, April 22, 2012, Japantown, Post Street & Fillmore Street, SF, 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Cherry Blossom Festival will feature what promises to be a colorful costume contest with competitors wearing their most original and fashionable anime creations including cosplay, gothic lolita, kogal and harajuku styles. The contest will also include a parade by the contestants. No cost to attend.
- Elementals: Million Fishes Art Collective Fashion Trunk Sale and Show, Sunday, April 22, 2012, 2501 Bryant Street, SF, 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Million Fishes Gallery is hosting an afternoon of fashion, ritual jewelry, music and complimentary drinks and appetizers. Check out the new Sefirah Fierce 2012 collection and handcrafted wearable metal art and ritual jewelry from Sparkle Pow. No cost to attend.
- Couture de Cure Fundraiser, Sunday, April 22, 2012, Studio Barndiva, 237 Center Street, Healdsburg, 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Couture de Cure is a fashion show fundraiser benefitting the American Diabetes Association and Tour de Cure. Cocktails, wine and hors d’oeuvres will be served by Barndiva and Vin Couture while you enjoy the fashion show and silent and live auction. Ticket cost to attend is $100.
- SF Carnaval King & Queen Competition, Sunday, April 22, 2012, Public Works, 161 Erie Street, SF, 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
The SF Carnaval king and queen competition will be a fun and fierce multi-cultural music and dance event to select this year’s Carnaval royalty, As with most of the Carnaval festivities, there will be colorful, sparkly costumes and exciting performances. Cost to attend is $15 in advance and $20 at the door, with proceeds going towards the Carnaval parade in May.