|The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk. Photo by Ed Jay.|
- The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk, Saturday, March 24 thru August 19, 2012, de Young Museum – 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, Golden Gate Park, SF, 9:30 am to 5:15 pm
Experience a fashion exhibit like no other. This dynamic, multimedia exhibition spotlights 140 haute couture and prêt-à-porter designs created by Jean Paul Gaultier between the 1970s an 2010, along with numerous sketches, archival documents, fashion photographs and video clips. Despite the gritty and sometimes controversial content of his collections, the clothes remain beautiful, superbly crafted with the finest dressmaking and detailing skills. General admission is $11.
|James McNeill Whistler, Harmony in Grey and Green: Miss Cicely Alexander, 1872–1874. Oil on canvas. Tate, London|
- The Cult of Beauty: The Victorian Avant-Garde, 1860-1900, ongoing thru June 17, 2012, Legion of Honor, SF
Check out the avant-garde beauty of the Aesthetic Movement at the Legion of Honor art exhibit through June 17th, 2012. This look at The Victorian Avant-Garde will feature a series of exclusive programs including live entertainment, costumes, and hands-on art making. Programs are free with museum admission of $11.
- Outfitters: The Contemporary Art of Clothing, Sunday, March 4 thru Saturday, May 13, 2012, Bedford Gallery – 1601 Civic Drive, Walnut Creek, 12:00 to 5:00 pm
Explore an exhibition of twenty artists’ work that uses armature of clothing or actual clothing as a premise for sculpture. Embracing personal ideas and the conceptual edge of craft, the artworks address concepts of money, human nature and statements of identity. Ticket cost is $5.
- International Gem & Jewelry Show, Friday, April 6 thru Sunday, April 8, 2012, San Mateo County Event Center, 2495 S. Delaware Street, San Mateo, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Shop for beads and learn how to create your own jewelry pieces at this three-day event. Vendors will be providing deep discounts on jewelry and jewelry making materials. Beading classes are free with purchase of a $10 jewelry making class kit. Cost to attend is $8.
- Zansus Purses 2nd Year Anniversary, Friday, April 6, 2012, Isabella Boutique – 152 S. Murphy Ave., Sunnyvale, 5:30 to 9:00 pm
Eco-stylish brand Zansus Purses is celebrating two years of Eco-chic fashion! Celebrate with the designers at Isabella Boutique and enjoy live music and models showcasing the latest spring fashions. Come shop and enjoy a cocktail and slice of cake with Zansus Purses!
- Beautiful Rebels: Friday Night at the de Young, Friday, April 6, 2012, 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, SF, 6:00 to 9:00 pm
Peaches Christ is hosting a fabulous evening at the de Young featuring a fantastical fashion show and a cavalcade of costumes and performances in tribute to the exhibit “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier.” Starring in this event are local superstar designers Mister David, Tria and Mrs Vera. Cost to attend is $11.
- Jean Paul Gaultier: Maverick Fashion Icon: Double Feature of The Fifth Element and The City of Lost Children, Friday, April 6, 2012, The Castro Theatre, 429 Castro Street, SF, 7:00 pm to 12:00 am
The Castro Theatre is presenting their second evening of movies featuring Jean Paul Gaultier designs. This evening’s features include The Fifth Element and The City of Lost Children. Both movies provide visual eye candy of Gaultier’s over the top designs. Ticket cost for both films is $10.
Come to Hangr 16 to celebrate ShopNear.me’s launch! This is an amazing new GPS-based mobile app that allows people to follow their favorite boutiques, track items, reserve new arrivals and more. Come enjoy drinks, appetizers and DJd music. There is a 20% discount on purchases at the event with a Shopnear.me download.
The International Gem and Jewelry Show continues today in addition to the following fashion events:
- San Francisco Fashion Film Festival, Saturday, April 7 thru Sunday, April, 8, 2012, The Roxie Theatre, 3117 16th Street, SF, Various Movie Times 1:00 to 9:45 pm
Explore fashion and style through film at the San Francisco Fashion Film Festival. The first day of the festival includes films Ziegfeld girl, How I get Dressed/The way I Dress, Jack Taylor of Beverly Hills, Barbarella and The Matrix. Ticket cost ranges from $10 to $15.
- AETHER Apparel & Lizzie Garrett Mettler book release party of “Tomboy Style: Beyond the Boundaries of Fashion”, Saturday, April 7, 2012, Aetherstream mobile store, 432 Octavia Street, SF, 5:00 to 7:00 pm
Attend the book release party of “Tomboy Style Beyond the Boundaries of Fashion” and meet author Lizzie Garrett Mettler. This compact coffee table tome celebrates the tomboy look made popular by style icons Katharine Hepburn, Patti Smith, Jane Birkin and others. Food and drinks provided. RVSP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spring Forward Fashion Show, Saturday, April 7, 2012, DanzHaus, 1275 Connecticut Street, SF, 9:00 pm to 4:00 am
This bass-heavy fashion event will feature a runway show of rave inspired fashion and a trunk show featuring vendors The Alley Cat Sewing Co., Shmelt Clothing, See Odder Designs, and Doing the Unstuck Clothing. The event will also feature live art and an amazing lineup of DJs. Cost to attend is $20.
This is the last day of the International Gem and Jewelry Show and San Francisco Fashion Film Festival. Film festival movies include City of Lost Children, Miss Representation, God Save My Shoes and Marie Antoinette. Enjoy these events in addition to the following:
- A Victorian Easter Wonderland, Sunday, April 8, 2012, Legion of Honor, 100 34th Avenue, SF, 12:00 to 3:00 pm
Celebrate Easter in style at the Legion of Honor “Victorian Easter Wonderland” in celebration of their latest exhibit. Festivities include a Victorian Easter Egg Hunt on the front lawn (free of charge), an Easter bonnet making workshop compliments of Petrushka Couture Accessories, a movie feature of the animated version of Alice in Wonderland and other activities. This will be a unique Easter experience with something for the whole family to enjoy.