UPCOMING FASHIONABLE FUN EVENTS IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, WEEK OF MAY 3 – 9, 2010
- Swappo de Mayo: El Sobrante, Monday, May 3, 2010, Plaza Sobrante Shopping Center, 3550 San Pablo Dam Rd, El Sobrante, 6:00-9:00pm
Ayy! Ayy! Ayy! Calling all “haute” tamales! Gather your girlfriends and enjoy a Cinco de Mayo inpsired clothing swap, Swappo de Mayo. Swap good items that you never wear for other treasures. All unclaimed clothing will be donated to Charity. The event includes complimentary spa treatments and a raffle. Cost is $25 plus a minimum of 10 items to swap.
Another chance to get your swappo on! This time at Club Cocomo in San Francisco. This event will kick up that latin fuego a notch with live DJ music, dance performances, and salsa dancing. Men are welcome to join after 9:00 PM for the dancing. Cost is $25 plus a minimum of 10 items to swap.
- Photography Workshop & Porfolio Night, Wednesday, May 5, 2010, Pigment Cosmetics, One Market Street, Studio 2, SF, 6:00-9:00pm, www.sffashionscene.info/
SFFAMA & Bleed Magazine present a digital photography workshop and portfolio development night. Aspiring photographers will get hands-on training about the do’s and don’ts of digital photography by talented photographer Del Geronimo. Don’t forget to bring your portfolio for a collaborative critique. $5 donation at the door.
- Academy of Art Graduation Fashion Show, Thursday, May 6, 2010, Academy of Art, 601 Brannan Street, SF 3:00-4:00 PM
The school of fashion will debut collections from graduating students of the Accessory, Knitwear, Menswear, Technical, Textile and Women’s Wear Design. Join them from 3-4:00 PM. Admission is free.
- Spring Fling Trunk Show, Thursday, May 6, 2010, Horatius, 350 Kansas Street, 5:30-9:30pm, www.horatius.com
Just in time for Mother’s day, it’s the mother of trunk shows. Grab a bite to eat, a glass of wine and shop, shop away.
- Bare Magazine i7 Launch Party, Thursday, May 6, 2010, Hotel Durant, 2600 Durant Ave., 9:00 PM – 12:00 AM
BARE Magazine, UC Berkeley’s student produced fashion magazine is hosting their 7th issue launch party! See the new issue and party with UC Berkeley’s fashion forward community. No cover for the event. Suggested donation for the magazine is $3.
- Fashion Take Over – fashion show, Thursday, May 6, 2010, El Toro, 2470 San Bruno Ave, SF, 9:30pm-2:00am
Diamond Events|7476 Designs presents “Fashion Take Over” at the night club El Toro. The event is hosted by FashionArt4Humanity.com. Designer details are pending. Admission fee is $10.
944 Magazine and Slide presents a fashion show featuring the designs of Picky Studio. This design house is known for their designs using innovative printing techniques. RSVP to be on the guest list. Fashion show starts at 11pm.
- Behnaz Arafpour’s Fall 2010 Trunk Show, Friday, May 7, 2010, Wilkes Bashford, 375 Sutter Street, SF, 11:00am-6:0pm, www.wilkesbashford.com
Don’t you love this outfit! It’s barely the end of Spring, but come out and look forward to Fall fashion inspiration. Come see Behnaz Arafpour’s exciting new Fall 2010 collection. Her collection includes beautifully tailored daywear and dazzling evening dresses.
Kick off the weekend with this great shopping event featuring 25 local designers and artists. Admission is free.
Oakland’s First Fridays Art Walk is featuring a new exhibit of local fashion designers displaying their works in window displays of various downtown buildings. The designers involved are Alexandria Von Bromsse, Skylier Wear Collection, Heather Guevarra Arcega, and Larissa Verdussen. All of these designers will also be featuring their collections at the Urban Couture Fashion Art Expo on May 22nd.
The California College of Arts is hosting a fashion show featuring the collections of their Fashion Design Class of 2010. Featuring the original collections of up-and-coming designers, the fashion show will be a high-caliber runway presentation with professional models. Private champagne and chocolate reception starts at 6:30 PM. General admission is $30 and VIP admission is $100.
- Academy of Art University Fashion Show & Open House, Saturday, May 8, The Academy of Art University, 9:00am – 5:00pm, www.academyart.edu.jsp
The Academy of Arts is hosting an open house from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, with a fashion show from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Enjoy the collections from their talented fashion design students. Admission is free.
- Gama-Go Anniversary Celebration, Saturday, May 8, 2010, Gama-Go, 335 8th Street, SF, 12:00 – 5:00 PM
Gama-Go is celebrating their one year anniversary of their flagship store at 335 8th Street. Stop by for food, drinks and fun with the Gama-Go crew!
- Venus Superstar, Coma&Cotton & Pigeon Trunk Show, Saturday, May 8, 2010, Pin The Tail, 3212 Fillmore St., 12:00-7:00pm
Check out the latest collections of Venus Superstar, Coma&Cotton and Pigeon in this special trunk show at boutique Pin The Tail. There will be special discounted prices on some items in the collection. Enjoy cocktails while you shop for new items for your wardrobe or accessory collection!
- Spring Time Fashion Show at X Studio, Saturday, May 8, 2010, 2147-10th Street, San Jose, 6:00-9:00 PM
Celebrate the fashionable beauty of Spring! Enjoy this fashion show event featuring designers JGettone, All Body Apparel, Embody Junkii, Asingh Designs, GG Connections and Ronnie & Peaches. Cost of admission is $10 presale and $15 at the door.
- The Beauty Expo, Saturday, May 8, 2010, Pigment Cosmetics, One Market Street, 6:00-10:00pm, www.thebeautyexpo.com
Presented by SFFAMA, this is the first annual “Beauty Expo” and “Top Stylist Competition.” Makeup stations will be provided by Pigment Cosmetics. Hairstyling tips from Hairplay Products. Fashion show featuring Beyond The Alley, Vindy Co., Invisible Hero Industries, and Miss Fortune Designs. $5-$10 donation at the door.
- City Model & The Barber Lounge Present Buzz Off, Saturday May 8, 2010, The Barber Lounge, 854 Folsom Street, SF, 7:00-11:30 PM
City Model Management and The Barber Lounge are hosting “Buzz Off To Breast Cancer”, a charity event with proceeds going to the Charlotte Maxwell Organization. City Management’s top models will be at the event encouraging people to buzz off their locks in solidarity with people going through chemo treatments. In addition, there will be special spa treatments, gifts and prizes throughout the evening. This is a meaningful event for a great cause.
Part of the promotional events for the Urban Couture Fashion Art Expo, this event is featuring a fashion show with designs from Rag Doll Design and Larissa Verdussen. World renowned house DJ Mark Farina will be spinning all evening. Come for the great fashion and music! RSVP to be on the guest list.
- Style Clash at the How Weird Street Faire Fashion Alley, Sunday, May 9, 2010, Natoma & 2nd Streets, 12:00pm
The How Weird Street Faire is fashion inspiring enough with all the people watching. This year they are launching Fashion Alley, a non-stop fashion runway show throughout the day, on Natoma Street, just off 2nd Street, featuring stylistic fashions from top local designers and artists, fashion related vendors and a music stage.
- Walter Van Beirendonck – Wonder, Sunday, May 9, 2010, Berkeley Art Museum, Sunday, May 9, 2010, 2626 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, 7:00 PM
Walter Van Beirendonck show at the Berkeley Art museum. This is his first American show. Suzy Menkes, Keenan Duffy and other designers will be attending the event.